JTMAE Manuscript Guidelines
Click Here for author upload instructions
Articles submitted to ATMAE for publication in the Journal of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering (JTMAE) must follow these manuscript guidelines. If you have questions about the guidelines or need further information contact ATMAE at email@example.com.
ATMAE Membership: Confirm your membership in ATMAE before you submit an article. The JTMAE is an ATMAE member publication and ATMAE membership is a prerequisite for submission of refereed and non-refereed articles. Contact ATMAE at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your membership, to join ATMAE, or to renew your dues via the electronic form in the Membership section of the ATMAE Website.
Topics and Target Audience: The JTMAE publishes both peer-refereed and non-refereed scholarly and informational articles of interest to Industrial Technology students and professionals in industry and academia. Refereed articles generally fit into two broad categories: 1) Applied Papers (applied research), 2) Research Papers (original basic or empirical research), 3) Pedagogical papers (pedagogical research and issues), and 4) Perspective Papers (Meta-analysis - sound literature reviews to update the state-of-the-art). An examination of articles already posted to the JTMAE may help you decide if the JTMAE is the appropriate publication to which to submit your article. The target audience is industrial technology and technology management educators, students, graduates, technologists working in business and industry, and others interested in Industrial Technology and Technology Management issues. Present implications for this audience in the article.
- Peer-Refereed: The JTMAE uses a double-blind peer-review process for "peer-refereed" articles and each "peer-refereed" article is submitted to three reviewers for comment and criticism. Articles often go through a second review after an author's first revisions after review. The review process, either via traditional hard copy or via electronic review, will usually take between three months and one year to be completed.
- Non-Refereed: Non-refereed articles are read by the JTMAE Editorial panel and may be sent to one JTMAE Referee for comment and criticism.
PEER-REFEREED SUBMISSIONS Submissions for Peer-Refereed Review should generally fit into one of these four broad categories: 1) Applied Research, 2) Basic or Empirical Research, 3) Pedagogical Research and Issues, and 4) Perspective (Meta-Analysis) Papers, including sound literature reviews that update to the state-of-the-art or which provide a synthesis and suggest new implications or directions for further research.
- A review of articles already posted to the JTMAE may help you decide if the JTMAE is the appropriate publication to which to submit your article. Your paper should present implications relevant to the The Association of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering (ATMAE) defines industrial technology as "a field of study designed to prepare technical and/or management oriented professionals for employment in business, industry, education, and government." The JTMAE, as associated with ATMAE, is inclusive of topics and research related to industrial technology. No topic, setting, function, research methodology, or other category is given preference or excluded given that the submission fits accepted definitions of research and pertains to industrial technology.
- As a guide, the U.S. government defines research as the "systematic investigation, including research, development, testing and evaluation, designed to develop or contribute to [knowledge that can be generalized]." (45 CAR 46.102(d)). Other common definitions of research include "a systematic study directed toward more complete scientific knowledge or understanding of the subject studied" or "disciplined inquiry."
- A research paper should be clear, concise, and complete, with assumptions plainly identified and data presented (including their uncertainty) with precise logic, with relevance to practices described, and with actual accomplishments of the work clearly stated and honestly appraised.
Submissions for Non-Refereed publication: The JTMAE publishes non-refereed (NR) submissions related to industrial technology and technology management topics. The aim and scope of NR submissions are broader than that for JTMAE refereed articles.
NR papers are usually non-research pieces of importance to the readership, or articles that have some research basis but do not meet the criteria for review as a peer-refereed article.
Appropriate content includes: book reviews; opinion pieces and editorials; reports on new programs and curricula, or development and implementation of the same; accreditation and certification information; and other topics of interest to the JTMAE audience.
Reports on new development in programs, administrative issues, curriculum development and delivery that do not include comparative research with existing or traditional approaches and do not otherwise fit JTMAE categories for refereed publication are normally considered for non-refereed publication.
An article not accepted for publication after peer-review may be, at the discretion of the Editorial Panel, considered for publication as a non-refereed article, though the will not publish a paper as a "non-refereed" article if it was originally submitted for peer-review and not accepted, unless the author agrees to its publication as a refereed article.
A submission for consideration as a non-refereed article might be best described as editorial, informational, or otherwise; however, the grammar, clarity of purpose, and other quality measures of an NR submission should be on par with that of a refereed submission.
Submissions must be in English and be a maximum of ten (10) pages of text (for exceptions consult the JTMAE Administrator).
A submission for consideration as a non-refereed article should be submitted in electronic format adhering to the current edition of the Publications Manual of the American Psychological Association and otherwise comply with the JTMAE Manuscript Guidelines and Submission Guidelines.
REQUIRED FORMAT, STYLE AND CONTENT OF DOCUMENT AND TEXT:
Read and comply with these requirements regarding your paper:
ACCEPTANCE: If your article is accepted, submit a short biographical statement for each author, a photo of each author (preferably a head-shot; a high-resolution electronic photo, at least 2.5" x 2.5" and 300 dpi), an electronic version and hard copy of the article, including original artwork. Send an MS Word document, but do not send 'read only' files.
COPYRIGHT NOTICE: All articles published in the JTMAE are copyrighted by ATMAE. Articles submitted to the JTMAE cannot be submitted to other publications while under review. Articles published in other copyrighted publications may not be submitted to the JTMAE and articles published in the JTMAE may not be published in other publications without written permission of ATMAE.
Submit all correspondence to:
Alyssa Ebersole, Journal Coordinator
Journal of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering
275 N. York Street Suite 401
Elmhurst, IL 60126
Phone: (630) 433-4514
Fax: (630) 563-9181
You must follow these guidelines when submitting articles to the JTMAE. Nonconforming articles will not be considered.